At Holy Cross Catholic Primary School, we are keen to involve our pupils in the ongoing improvement of School Sport and Physical Education at our school. Our Sports Leaders not only get the opportunity to voice their own opinions and make important decisions, but they are also involved in running and supporting sports events.
Our group of Sports Leaders is made up of children from Year 5 and 6. At the start of the year, children in these year groups were invited to apply for the job. Each application was carefully considered and in the end 6 children were chosen to join the Sports Leaders team.
What does a Sports Leader do?
- We have regular meetings.
- We make sure the pupils in our school have a voice.
- We help Mrs Lison and Mr Sweeney to run sports competitions within school.
- We help our teachers at City competitions and festivals - for example, time keeping, lap counting, taking photographs of our competitors.
- We aim to kick start healthy-active lifestyles by getting pupils engaged in physical activity at lunchtimes.
What kind of person makes a good Sports Leader?
Someone who sticks to and also promotes the School Games values, which are:
What we have done so far this year:
- Applied for our role.
- Discussed what we can each bring to the team.
- Decided on roles within our team.
- Discussed what makes a good Sports Leader.
- Led games and activities at lunchtimes.
- Helped younger children to participate in sporting games and activities.